JT’s Fiery Flat Iron Steaks
Serves 6 people
3 Flat Iron Steaks 1.25-1.5 lbs. each (makes 6 10-12 oz. servings)
2 cups of favorite store-bought bold & spicy BBQ sauce
2 large limes (or 3 small limes)
3 large cloves of garlic
2 unseeded large chipotle peppers packed in Adobo sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
2 oz. kosher salt
2 oz. course ground black pepper
2 oz. granulated garlic
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1. Preheat gas grill to high.
2. Combine the dry rub ingredients.
3. Apply a little olive oil to each steak and generously dry rub each steak.
3. In the blender combine the ingredients for the grilling sauce and blend until thoroughly combined.
4. Coat one side of each rubbed steak with the blended grilling sauce.
5. Begin grilling each steak starting with the sauced side facing the grill first.
6. Sear the bottom side for 2 minutes and apply grilling sauce to the top side of each steak.
7. Turn the steaks to sear the other side for 2 minutes and apply more grilling sauce to the top side of each steak.
8. Once each side is seared, reduce heat to medium high, turn the steaks and cook each side for 3 additional minutes while basting the top side of each steak with the grilling sauce.
9. Remove steaks from grill and let sit for 10 minutes before carving. Each steak must cook for 5 minutes on each side until medium rare and each side will get basted twice during grilling—once before searing each steak and once after each side’s first turn. Be sure to slice the flat iron steaks across the grain to serve. Due to the smokiness and heat of the chipotle peppers and the sweetness from the honey in the grilling sauce, this steak shines when paired with the brace of tannins and minerality found in our 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon.